Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Around The Corner ...


What a find in the quaint little town of Eureka ...
walking along ... checking out the stores ... 
a sign caught my eyes ...
Antique Store ... just around the corner ...
and it was ... down an alley ... 
"Around The Corner Antiques & Art"
I believe I was guided and was meant to walk into this place ...


Some of the items outside ... she lives in the house on the other side of the fence ...


The door was locked ...
a sign said to push a call button ...
from the backyard of this little shop ...
this dear lady ... slowly went to the back of the building ... and unlocked the door ...
and welcomed me in ...
she had some real treasures in there ...
I looked around at the items she had ... then this book caught my eye ...
I was really drawn to it ... 
I started talking to this lady and found out that she is the one that had written it ...
Alicia R. Edwards is her name ...
an amazing women ...
she is also an artist ... she had numerous paintings hung in her shop ... 
a former concert pianist ... and now a writer ..
and she was just finishing up writing her second book ... 
sitting in her backyard when I arrived ...
I was overwhelmed ... 
Mrs. Edwards is 88 years old ... 
and is writing her life story ... she was born and raised in Eastern Poland ... until the age of 16 ...
when war broke out  ... Alicja and her family were sent to Kazakhstan into forced labour for 3 yrs ...
she also spent time in Iran ... met her husband and moved to the states ...
her book "And God Was Our Witness"
tells the story ...

Alicja Edwards has gone to many schools and libraries here in our area to talk about her life...
She is a special women ... I was grateful to have met her ...
I will make a point in stopping by to say hello ...
the next time I travel that way again ...
our paths were meant to cross
a new friendship transpired ...


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting lady..isn't it true that everyone has a story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you,what a treasure you found,hope to meet her some day. M

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to view my blog.